Kidnapped three-year-old girl rescued after eight-hour ordeal

Child was allegedly taken from her father's office and a HK$50,000 ransom sought

PUBLISHED : Tuesday, 06 May, 2014, 10:38am
UPDATED : Wednesday, 07 May, 2014, 10:58am

A three-year-old girl was rescued by police last night after being abducted and held for eight hours by kidnappers demanding HK$50,000 ransom.

Her two alleged kidnappers – a 40-year-old man and his 42-year-old girlfriend – were arrested by police at a public housing flat in Tsing Yi late last night after the ransom was paid.

The girl was not injured, police say, but is being treated for shock in Princess Margaret Hospital in Kwai Chung

Her ordeal began yesterday when a man, who police say is a former employee of her father’s interior design company in Mong Kok, returned to the office and made an excuse to take the girl out to play. He did not return, however.

“About an hour later, the girl’s mother received a short telephone message asking her to pay a ransom of HK$50,000 for the release of the girl,” acting Superintendent Jasper Choi Chun-hoo of Kowloon West regional crime unit said.

He said the 40-year-old mother went to Mong Kok police station for help shortly after 5pm.

Following the kidnapper’s instructions, the girl’s mother transferred the ransom money into a bank account.

“An initial investigation showed the kidnapper promised to bring the girl back to the Mong Kok office once the ransom was paid,” a police source said.

The kidnapper was understood to have later withdrawn most of the ransom money from an automated teller machine in Tsing Yi.

At about 11pm, after plainclothes officers hid in different locations in the area, a 40-year-old man was seen carrying the girl out of a block of flats in the public housing estate in Tsing Yi.

“Under safe circumstances, police took action and rescued the girl,” Choi said. “She is in shock in the incident. She is now in hospital for observation.”

Police subdued the man after a brief struggle. A policeman suffered minor scratches.

Officers also arrested his 42-year-old girlfriend in the Tsing Yi apartment where the girl was allegedly held. Most of the ransom was recovered in the flat.

At about 3am today, one of the suspects, who was hooded and handcuffed, was escorted to the headquarters of Kowloon West regional crime unit in Kowloon City.

The two suspects are still being held for questioning and no charges have been laid.

In October, three Indian businessmen were allegedly kidnapped and a ransom of HK$19 million was sought after the men were lured to Hong Kong by the bogus promise of a property deal. They were later released after being held for three days.

Police arrested 10 people in connection with the case.