• Sat
  • Nov 29, 2014
  • Updated: 6:18am
NewsHong Kong
TOURISM

Cover-up or negligence? Lawmakers probe handling of HK$250m Mega Events Fund

That's the question lawmakers are asking officials who failed to mention graft-buster's advice to shut HK$250m Mega Events Fund

PUBLISHED : Sunday, 18 May, 2014, 4:55am
UPDATED : Sunday, 18 May, 2014, 4:55am
 

Lawmakers probing the handling of the government's HK$250 million Mega Events Fund yesterday accused officials of serious negligence or a cover-up when they failed to divulge key information in a funding application.

Commerce and tourism officials facing the Legislative Council's Public Accounts Committee for the second time were asked why they did not make known the graft-buster's advice that the fund be shut down, in an application for HK$150 million in 2012.

On Monday, lawmakers revealed that the fund's secretariat, at a Legco Finance Committee meeting in 2012, chose not to mention that the Independent Commission Against Corruption had suggested two years earlier that the fund hand back all unused funds and cease operations.

The fund was set up in 2009 to promote Hong Kong as the events capital of Asia.

Committee member Alan Leong Kah-kit asked why the graft-busters' advice had seemingly been ignored. "The ICAC's opinion must have been linked to the fate of the fund … but it was completely absent in the secretariat's document for Legco on April 27, 2012," said Leong, of the Civic Party. "[This] was either intentional or serious negligence."

The hearing follows an Audit Commission report released last month that criticised the use and monitoring of the fund. It said the ICAC had in 2010 questioned the need to continue with the fund and suggested unused money be returned to the government.

Yesterday, Permanent Secretary for Commerce and Economic Development Andrew Wong Ho-yuen, said the graft-buster's view "had been taken into account".

The ICAC's Corruption Prevention Advisory Committee in 2010 told the Tourism Commission, which manages the fund, to "issue more stringent guidelines for staff in evaluating events that involved substantial grants and carried a commercial name".

"We have executed all advice offered by the ICAC," Wong told lawmakers. "Our suggestion to continue with the fund was based on other factors," he said, referring to brand-building and tourism promotion. "The ICAC's view on the fund was taken into consideration … just like we take citizens' views into consideration."

Committee chairman Abraham Razack was not convinced: "That was the ICAC, not an average citizen."

The organisers of one fund beneficiary - the Dragon and Lion Dance Extravaganza - also came under fire yesterday for lengthy delays in submitting its accounts. Auditors accused it of incomplete accounting. Its organising committee - which includes at least five members of the Beijing-loyalist Democratic Alliance for the Betterment and Progress of Hong Kong - failed to meet the May 1 deadline to submit financial reports for this year's event to the Tourism Commission.

DAB lawmaker Chan Kam-lam, who heads the dance event's organising committee, denied they were "buying time to manipulate the numbers".

The event had said it would create 3,000 jobs for performers. Ultimately, there were 1,850 performers. Police are understood to have opened an investigation after members of the Labour and Democratic parties filed a report on potential conflicts of interest.

Share

For unlimited access to:

SCMP.com SCMP Tablet Edition SCMP Mobile Edition 10-year news archive
 
 

 

 
 
 
 
 
6

This article is now closed to comments

rpasea
As the ICAC head reports to the CE, shouldn't reports like this be sent to the CE for further action? Why tell the group in question their funding should be cut but not tell anyone who can "monitor the situation closely", a phrase popular with our govt?
chuchu59
Definitely cover up with a grain of incompetence and negligence to boot. For these issues, its best to get the Audit Commission involved and let them wrap up the issue in their periodical reports.
Dao-Phooy
No possibility of any resignations here - seems like the tip of an iceberg of collusion at best and corruption at worst! Who made the decision to keep the ICAC's advice from Legco? He or she must go.
amunro
This stinks - but as 'accountability' is only to be found in the dictionary I'm sure it will blow over. Relax guys your jobs are safe.
dynamco
remove the letter 'o' is a more apt definition of this lying shower
what more to expect when the Liberals Control the Tourism hand-me-down job & Anthony Lau Chun Hon is the executive director of the Tourism Board after his previous lifetime employment with Philip Morris tobacco
ann.wei.121
What do you expect in a place where a Chinese Official's "masterpiece" sold for HK$15 million , whereas that of a renounced artist is just around HK$2 million ? Hong Kong people accepted it as the norm. Hong Kong is becoming a city for the anosmatic, ICAC is a showpiece.

Login

SCMP.com Account

or