COURTS

PLA soldier repeats insult in court allegedly made by accused barracks trespasser

PUBLISHED : Thursday, 22 May, 2014, 3:53am
UPDATED : Thursday, 22 May, 2014, 4:29am

A People's Liberation Army soldier repeated a Cantonese insult in court yesterday and imitated a gun gesture with his fingers which he alleges was done by a 29-year-old man accused of trespassing in the PLA barracks.

Eastern Court was shocked when Wu Peng, who claimed to understand only a little Cantonese and had been testifying in Putonghua, uttered a vulgar expression in Cantonese with a northern accent, when asked by the prosecutor what exactly was said that day.

Wu said he saw the first trespasser - whom he recalled as a bespectacled man of slight build in his twenties and about 1.8 metres tall, wearing a black jacket - was facing him when he swore.

The trial of the Boxing Day trespass on the PLA Central barracks entered its third day yesterday. Three of the four accused on Monday admitted entering a closed area without a permit.

The other defendant, Billy Chiu Hin-chung, 29, has pleaded not guilty to the same charge.

When questioned by prosecutor Jonathan Man Tak-ho, Wu said he got a good look at the defendant's face and that an Apple Daily video clip and the barrack's CCTV footage shown in court accurately portrayed what had happened during the alleged trespassing.

Meanwhile, the defence yesterday continued to doubt the credibility of Song Heng, the first PLA solider to testify on Tuesday.

Defence lawyer Jasper Kwan Hang-fan questioned whether Song could have correctly identified his client in an ID parade in January. Song maintained that he looked at the defendant's face carefully during the confrontation when he stopped him from going further into the barracks.

The trial continues today and will be extended for at least one more day, on June 9.

 

 

Promotions