• Thu
  • Aug 21, 2014
  • Updated: 5:08pm
NewsHong Kong

Cathay passenger trapped in plane bathroom after finger gets caught in rubbish bin

An American traveller spends more than an hour in toilet onboard when flying into Hong Kong

PUBLISHED : Wednesday, 18 June, 2014, 3:18pm
UPDATED : Wednesday, 18 June, 2014, 4:28pm

An American traveller was trapped in a toilet on board a Hong Kong-bound flight for more than an hour after his middle finger became jammed in a rubbish bin.

The 32-year-old traveller was forced to endure a landing at Chek Lap Kok airport while standing in the bathroom alone.

Police said it was not until firefighters had been called, 10 minutes after the plane from Newark had landed, that the man, identified only as Daniel, managed to free himself.

The passenger's bizarre ordeal started when he went to visit the toilet at 4am on the Cathay Pacific flight.

“An initial investigation showed that he threw trash into a rubbish bin inside the toilet, but his middle finger was accidentally stuck in the bin,” a police officer said.

Unable to pull free it himself the passenger summoned flight attendants who had little option other than to allow him to stay into the bathroom until the aircraft had landed.

At about 5.30am, 10 minutes after landing, the pilot called police for help with Daniel's situation, police revealed.

Firemen were then called onboard, but shortly before they arrived the passenger managed to free himself.

“An initial examination showed there were no apparent injuries on his finger. He did not require hospital treatment or examination," said the police officer.

According to police, the man then left the airport and continued his journey into the city.

Share

For unlimited access to:

SCMP.com SCMP Tablet Edition SCMP Mobile Edition 10-year news archive
 
 

 

6

This article is now closed to comments

paolasada
Cathay does NOT fly to Newark. They only fly to JFK (in the New York area).
clivehk
What a tool!
HK-Lover
Now we know why they have an electricity grid with only 115V in the US - otherwise there would be too many fatale casualties caused by electric shock. They are even too ignorant to operate a rubbish bin.
Let's hope that the fire department will send him a hefty bill to cover the cost.
charlie212
i see a $15,000,000 typical american lawsuit coming due to damages, physiological distress and PTSD.
sipsip1238
Did he try pushing the flap back down before pulling?
daily
What a complete idiot........and this is news?
 
 
 
 
 

Login

SCMP.com Account

or