Man accused of murdering prostitute admitted beating her, court told

PUBLISHED : Wednesday, 25 June, 2014, 4:49am
UPDATED : Wednesday, 25 June, 2014, 5:11am

A man accused of murdering a prostitute denied he killed her but admitted to police he beat her up to "teach her a lesson", a court heard yesterday.

Prosecutor Newman Wong told the Court of First Instance that security cameras showed accused Li Wai-man, 50, and victim Liu Shuqiong, 46, entering her building in Yau Ma Tei at about 11.50pm on October 22, 2012.

Li left minutes later, at about 12.03am the next day, Wong said, while Liu never left the building alive.

The woman's body, with neck injuries, was found by a social worker two days later.

Wong told deputy judge Mr Justice Michael Stuart-Moore and a jury that Li had tried to "water down" his involvement and only some of his statements were true.

"He was present in her flat, he attacked her … but he is certainly not telling the truth when he said Liu was not bleeding," Wong said.

The court heard when police arrested Li in Wong Tai Sin on October 29, he said: "It has nothing to do with me. It was Ah Ying told me to teach her a lesson."

Li, who has pleaded not guilty to murder, admitted to police that he beat Liu in the face and head. He also claimed she was alive and was not bleeding when he left her flat. But Wong said that forensic experts had found the victim's bloodstains in Li's bag.

The prosecutor added that Liu used a mobile phone with the uncommon brand name Doov.

The court was told that on October 24, Li tried to sell a phone of that same make but the shopkeeper refused to take it as the brand was rare in Hong Kong.

Li later bought a charger for the phone and this was found in his flat after he was arrested.

Social worker Nee Yuk-ngou told the court a sex worker she identified as Ah Ying phoned her on October 24 and said she had heard someone had died in a flat in Shanghai Street.

She asked Ah Ying to take her to the flat. She called police when she got no answer.