Teenager 'wore Japanese kendo mask while friend stabbed his father to death'

Mother tells murder trial how masked son woke her at knifepoint; she saw husband being hacked to death, then attacker turned on her

PUBLISHED : Tuesday, 19 August, 2014, 3:21pm
UPDATED : Wednesday, 20 August, 2014, 9:02am

A mother told a murder trial yesterday how she woke up in the middle of the night to find her son wearing a kendo-style caged mask and pointing a knife at her. Irene Fok then saw her husband being stabbed by a second man, who turned on her.

She said her husband, Fok Lai-chi, shouted to her: "Irene, go out!" But his attacker stabbed her from behind and slashed her head before leaving with their son.

Her husband then lay on the floor telling her: "I'm going to die." Those were his last words, she said.

Her testimony came on the first day of the trial of her son Christoffer Ian Lee Fok Lap-yin, 20, who is pleading not guilty to the murder of his father and the attempted murder of his mother at their home in Pat Heung, Yuen Long, on March 16, last year.

His friend and co-defendant Chan Ming-tin, also 20, pleaded guilty to murder and the prosecution agreed not to pursue a charge of attempted murder.

Fok Lai-chi, 50, was found with more than 100 stab wounds. He died before reaching a hospital. Irene Fok, 40, sustained stabs to her head, face, back and limbs.

The prosecution also told the court how just as the pair left the family home, covered in blood, a policeman arrived at the scene. Fok and Chan agreed to put the blame on two fictitious people and pretend to chase after the culprits, prosecutors told the Court of First Instance.

The pair had blood all over their clothing when police officer Wan Ka-leung reached the Foks' home. Wan said Fok crawled out from the village house and told him: "Help! Somebody has chopped someone."

According to the prosecution, he added: "Save my father and mother; they've been chopped dead by somebody." Fok also allegedly claimed that one of the attackers had sounded just like him.

At the hearing, Irene Fok said she married her husband, a former British Army soldier, in the Philippines in 1992 and moved to Hong Kong the following year. Ian Fok was born in 1994.

She said they were a happy family, although father and son had argued over Ian Fok's studies a month before the incident. Ian Fok had also just broken up with his girlfriend, she added.

On the night of the attack, Irene Fok said nothing out of the ordinary happened apart from her son going to bed earlier than usual.

At about 3am, Irene Fok awoke to see the masked man sitting on top of her and pointing a knife at her. She recognised her son and asked: "What's happening?" He did not respond.

She realised her husband was under attack as she tried to grab the knife from her son.

The court also heard from a neighbour who called police after hearing the commotion. Wong Lai-fong, who had been living one floor below the family since 1996, said she heard Ian Fok weep and shout: "Gone mad!"

Wong said Ian Fok had always been polite and well-behaved.

Prosecutor Diane Crebbin said that after his arrest, Ian Fok told police he believed he was destined to save the world - and to do so, he had to kill his parents.

"He admitted it was him who had made the plan to kill both parents and had later enlisted the help of Chan," she said.

The trial continues.