Silence of Hong Kong's top police officers may be due to dispute with chief executive
Amid widespread puzzlement among rank-and-file officers at silence from their superiors over protests, police staff associations issue call for unity

The events that have rocked Hong Kong over the past three weeks have not only reshaped the political landscape but look set to spark a major shake-up within the police force.
An internal message from the four staff associations that represent all rank and file officers - seen by the Sunday Morning Post - suggests moves could be under way to create a powerful unified body to represent the 28,000 policemen and -women.
Officers have faced fierce criticism of their handling of the unrest. From the controversial decision to use tear gas on September 28 - which many believe was the catalyst for mass protest - to last week's video which appeared to show a group of officers carrying out a violent and sustained attack on unarmed and restrained Civic Party member Ken Tsang Kin-chiu, key operational decisions by the force have raised serious questions over officers' role at the eye of the Occupy storm.
Many men and women in uniform have been puzzled by their superiors' low profile.
Until yesterday neither police commissioner Andy Tsang Wai-hung nor his top lieutenants had appeared in public since the 87 rounds of tear gas were fired. In a statement yesterday, Tsang delivered a stinging attack on what appears to be the increasingly violent approach of some protesters.
Several sources within the force have told the Post that Tsang's absence from the public eye is the result of a dispute between him and Chief Executive Leung Chun-ying. One source said the government was keen for Tsang to stay out of the limelight because he has a tough public image and might have further inflamed the situation.