Avenue of Stars to reopen in third quarter of 2018, three months ahead of schedule
Facelift to include more shelter facilities and green space, music fountain and water stage
The popular Avenue of Stars along the Tsim Sha Tsui waterfront will be reopened in the third quarter of 2018, three months earlier than expected thanks to speedy renovation works.
Under the plan by New York landscape architecture firm James Corner Field Operations, the avenue will be given a facelift with a drastic increase in shelter facilities and green space for unobstructed views of Victoria Harbour, as well as the addition of a music fountain and a small water stage.
It is understood that the plaques containing movie stars’ hand prints and autographs will not be set into the floor out of consideration for the disabled and the elderly.
The changes were contained in a paper submitted by the Leisure and Cultural Services Department for discussion at the Yau Tsim Mong District Council next Thursday. A source said that another proposal to place the plaques at the neighbouring Garden of Stars will also be up for discussion.
“Some members of the Harbourfront Commission and the Yau Tsim Mong District Council have proposed to place the plaques in an upright position at the Garden of Stars. It will be easier for the disabled and elderly to view them and for people to take pictures,” the source explained.
Last year the avenue was closed for a three-year revitalisation programme, expected to take until the end of 2018. But because the pace of renovation works was faster than expected, it will be reopened in the third quarter of 2018, the paper said.
The Avenue of Stars, built and managed by developer New World Development, opened in 2004, with the iconic 2.5 metres tall bronze statue of Bruce Lee erected in 2005. The promenade, modelled on the Hollywood Walk of Fame, honours celebrities of the Hong Kong film industry.
The development was caught up in controversy last year as initial expansion plans by the government to include a 13 metres high film gallery with an observation deck and dining facilities, met with strong opposition from nearby hotels and properties, because their harbour views would be obstructed.
The government was also criticised for granting the expansion project to New World without an open tender, and failing to consult the public properly. In February this year, the expansion plan was scrapped due to the backlash.