Changes on menu for Hong Kong food trucks feeling business bite

Two more locations revealed as operators at four sites lose out to Disneyland when it comes to customers

PUBLISHED : Thursday, 20 April, 2017, 4:46pm
UPDATED : Thursday, 20 April, 2017, 10:49pm

A more flexible approach will be taken to food trucks with some ­restrictions eased on the first batch of operators who have experienced mixed fortunes over the past two months.

The latest measures will ­include two more locations for trucks – the Science Park in Sha Tin and AsiaWorld-Expo near Hong Kong International Airport – to meet the great demand for food when events are held.

Operators will also be allowed to conduct business for up to two days every two weeks at locations where tourism activities with a ­local flavour take place, once they have received official approval.

Taste test reveals truth about Hong Kong’s food trucks: snacks that are bland, overpriced and hard to eat

“Some of these venues, in certain time periods, have very little business. So we want to enrich the programme, by giving them [the operators] more choices,” commerce minister Greg So Kam-leung said yesterday after visiting the most popular food truck site near Disneyland.

The least popular sites were those at Ocean Park, Salisbury Garden in Tsim Sha Tsui, Central harbourfront and the Energising Kowloon East venue.

The daily revenue of the 12 food trucks ranged from HK$3,000 to HK$25,000, So said.

The mixed results had prompted the Commerce and Economic Development Bureau to grant concessions to operators in the four quietest areas, allowing them to switch to the two new ­locations for a limited amount of time. Food trucks at Kowloon East venue will also be allowed to ­conduct business at a Tsim Sha Tsui site at night.

So said the two new locations held a great number of events ­annually and those taking part would have more choice of food.

We want to enrich the programme, by giving operators more choices
Greg So, commerce minister

The Science Park is expected to receive 250,000 visitors up to next year and AsiaWorld-Expo is fully booked for 66 days a year.

“We think these two locations are worth a try,” So said.

AsiaWorld-Expo chief executive officer Allen Ha Wing-on welcomed the move, but lawmaker Kwok Wai-keung, of the Federation of Trade Unions, said adding more tourist sites just repeated previous mistakes.

“The scheme should focus on residents and encourage small businesses instead of giving tourists priority,” he said.

Last month, operator Capital Cafe decided to quit even before it hit the road, citing concerns over the profitability of the scheme, blaming costs and government requirements.

The two-year pilot scheme was unveiled by former financial secretary John Tsang Chun-wah during his 2015 budget address.