Man killed in fire at subdivided Hong Kong flat

Blaze apparently started by a cigarette

PUBLISHED : Thursday, 13 April, 2017, 12:42pm
UPDATED : Thursday, 13 April, 2017, 12:57pm

A man in his 60s was found dead on Thursday after a fire at his subdivided flat in Sham Shui Po.

The blaze, apparently started by a cigarette, began at 12.51am in the third-floor flat in Fu On Mansion on Tung Chau Street.

The apartment was divided into four cubicles.

Acting assistant divisional officer from Cheung Sha Wan fire station, Tsang Ho-yin, said firefighters broke into the 135 sq ft home and found the man dead in bed. They found nothing flammable inside.

“The man was unconscious when found. His upper body was burned,” Tsang said.

57-month jail term for protester who set taxi on fire in Mong Kok riot

It is understood the man had lived alone in the cubicle for more than two years and was a drug addict.

Police suspected that the man was high on drugs and lit a cigarette which later started the fire.

Firefighters put out the blaze in 20 minutes. About 10 residents had to clear the building.

It is not the first time this year someone has died in a fire in a subdivided home. In January, a man was found burned to death in a fire at a first-floor subdivided flat in Tsuen Wan. The building, Kam Shing Building on Heung Wo Street, had to be evacuated of about 200 residents.