Hero’s send-off for Hong Kong fireman who died in clifftop rescue mission

Chief Executive Leung Chun-ying, leader in waiting Carrie Lam, officials, lawmakers and members of public pay final respects to firefighter Yau Siu-ming

PUBLISHED : Friday, 14 April, 2017, 12:18pm
UPDATED : Friday, 14 April, 2017, 11:52pm

Top government officials, heads of disciplinary forces and lawmakers paid their last respects to a fireman who died in the line of duty during a mountain rescue operation last month.

Arriving in a sombre mood at Universal Funeral Parlour in Hung Hom on Friday morning were Chief Executive Leung Chun-ying and his successor come July, Carrie Lam Cheng Yuet-ngor.

Other figures paying tribute included Chief Secretary Matthew Cheung Kin-chung, Secretary for Justice Rimsky Yuen Kwok-keung, Police Commissioner Stephen Lo Wai-chung and Fire Services Director Daryl Li Kin-yat.

Heroic Hong Kong fireman dies in clifftop rescue drama

They were gathered to see off principal fireman Yau Siu-ming, hailed as a hero after sacrificing his life rescuing two trapped hikers at Tiu Shau Ngam in Ma On Shan under poor weather on March 22.

Some members of the general public also turned up outside the funeral parlour to pay their last respects, including Miss Lo, who had made her way there from the border town of Sheung Shui.

She said she was heartbroken upon hearing the news last month and had had trouble sleeping.

“[Yau] is a man of courage and righteousness. I hope people will exercise extra caution when going outdoors, as firemen and policemen are very busy,” Lo said.

The hearse – converted from a retired fire engine – arrived at about 10.15am. Following a 30-minute ceremony inside the funeral hall, officials and guests lined up along the pavement outside to see off Yau.

Memorial area set up at Sha Tin fire station to mourn Hong Kong fireman who died in clifftop rescue

Under the tunes from the police band, the casket was transferred onto the hearse by six pallbearers, said to be Yau’s classmates at the academy.

The Station Commander of Tin Sum Fire Station where Yau worked, Lui Yee-choi, rode on the hearse and carried Yau’s helmet.