Hong Kong police say suspected lubricant led to fatal accident in Tseung Kwan O Tunnel

All Kwun Tong-bound lanes have reopened as investigators search for a vehicle that left dirt scattered across the road allegedly leading to motorcyclist death

PUBLISHED : Friday, 26 August, 2016, 10:40am
UPDATED : Friday, 26 August, 2016, 2:19pm

A lubricant scattered across the Tseung Kwan O Tunnel is suspected to have contributed to the death of a motorcyclist struck by a coach this morning.

Police investigators are poring over closed-circuit television footage in an effort to track down the vehicle that leaked the oily solution over more than 200 metres of the Kwun Tong-bound tunnel.

It is alleged that Tang Siu-hang, 41, lost control of his motorbike and fell about 100 metres from the exit of the Kwun Tong-bound tunnel at about 7am this morning.

The coach driver attempted to stop his vehicle and swerved to the right just before hitting the motorcyclist.

Paramedics declared Tang dead at scene after he suffered serious head injuries.

The 59-year-old driver of the coach was arrested on suspicion of dangerous driving causing death. At noon, he was being held for questioning and had not been charged.

The coach was transporting workers to Kwai Chung at the time of the incident.

“The coach was running in a zigzag in front of my vehicle before it came to a stop,” a truck driver who witnessed the accident, said, adding that he later realised the motorcyclist was trapped under the coach.

According to another witness, the ground was very slippery and the coach was wobbling at the time of the accident.

Senior inspector Cheng King-man of the Kowloon East traffic unit said police had found 200-300 metres of dirt at the scene, which was later sent for testing. He added that investigators were currently checking over CCTV footage for the source of the dirt.

“Initial investigation showed it was believed to be engine oil and it was likely to have leaked from a heavy vehicle,” a police source said.

After the crash, the two-lane Kwun Tong-bound tunnel was closed while the Tseung Kwan O-bound tunnel was converted to allow two-way traffic. All Kwun Tong-bound lanes have since reopened.

The two vehicles were taken to a government vehicle plant in Kwoloon Bay for examination. The Kowloon East traffic unit is investigating.

Police figures show that 62 people died in 60 fatal road accidents across the city in the first seven months of this year, down from 75 deaths the same period of last year.