-
Advertisement
Hong Kong copyright bill
Hong KongLaw and Crime

Legco explosion: Six men arrested over rubbish bin blast outside Hong Kong legislature

Authorities said they would help reconstruct what happened although nobody has yet been charged

Reading Time:2 minutes
Why you can trust SCMP
Police bringing one of the suspects back to Legco today. Photo: Felix Wong
Clifford LoandNg Kang-chung

Four Hong Kong tertiary students were among six men arrested by police yesterday in connection with a blast outside the Legislative Council building in Admiralty earlier this month, according to police.

One of the four students was believed to be the person behind the dustbin blast plot on December 9, the Post learned.

After making five arrests in early hours of yesterday, officers last night detained a decoration worker at the Macau ferry terminal as he returned to Hong Kong for questioning. A police source said he was accused of buying alcohol and newspaper in the arson case.

READ MORE: Hong Kong police hunt ‘Black Bloc’: Anarchist gang blamed for Legco bin blast

Last night, all six men were being held for questioning and none had been charged.

Advertisement

Initial investigation showed two of the six suspects, aged between 18 and 24, were members of Valiant Frontier, a radical pro-Hong Kong independence group. It had rallied online against the controversial copyright bill, which it claimed was a means by the government to abridge Hong Kong’s freedom of speech.

Advertisement

“Hongkongers! You know what to do! Remember to meet outside Legislative Council on December 9. Not leave without seeing each other” was what it said on the group’s Facebook on December 8.

At 6am yesterday, officers arrested five Hongkongers after raiding homes in Tung Chung, Yau Ma Tei, Yau Tong, Sha Tin and Tuen Mun.

Advertisement
Select Voice
Select Speed
1.00x