Hong Kong money changer murdered for just HK$755, court told

Suspect Kit Kwun-kwok, 41, was handed over to city authorities on Thursday after being arrested in mainland China in June

PUBLISHED : Saturday, 30 July, 2016, 2:18pm
UPDATED : Saturday, 30 July, 2016, 11:35pm

An unemployed man charged with the murder of a money exchange shop owner in Tai Po this March allegedly robbed his victim of cash and bank cards valued at HK$755, a court heard.

The fresh details emerged on Saturday as Kit Kwun-kwok, 41, made his first court appearance before principal magistrate Andrew Ma Hon-cheung at Sha Tin Court.

The bespectacled man appeared calm in a striped grey T-shirt as he gave curt replies to questions at the brief hearing.

Hongkonger wanted in murder of money exchange shop owner arrested on mainland

According to charges read out to him by a court clerk, Kit has been charged with one count of murder and another of robbery.

Both offences allegedly took place at Chung Wui Money Exchange Shop in Tung Lok Building in Tai Po on March 14.

Kit was said to have murdered Yik Chik-chuen, 71, and robbed him of a wallet containing some bank cards and HK$520 and 200 yuan (HK$233) in cash.

Prosecutors said the stolen items were worth HK$755.

“Understood,” Kit said after each charge was read out to him.

He was not required to enter a plea.

Hong Kong ministers shown mainland Chinese video of interview with money changer murder suspect

“Do you have anything to say on your first court appearance?” the magistrate asked.

“No,” he replied.

His duty lawyer did not comment on prosecutors’ objection to bail or request for a four-week adjournment.

Ma said bail applications from defendants charged with murder could not be handled at the magistrates’ level.

He remanded Kit in custody of the Correctional Services Department as he adjourned the case to August 26.

It is understood that prosecutors needed time for DNA analysis.

The case will go to Fanling Court at the next hearing.

Kit was returned to Hong Kong on Thursday following his arrest by mainland authorities in late June.