Hong Kong man loses leg in tour bus crash on Guangdong highway

Victim was one of 17 tourists hurt when vehicle rammed into back of another coach

PUBLISHED : Tuesday, 09 August, 2016, 9:51am
UPDATED : Wednesday, 10 August, 2016, 1:02am

A Hong Kong man holidaying in Guangdong had to have his leg amputated in a mainland hospital after a tour bus accident.

The victim was one of 17 tourists injured when their vehicle rammed into the back of another coach on a highway in Jieyang city at about 2.45pm on Monday. His wife and son sustained minor injuries.

The bus was carrying 44 people on a three-day mainland tour from Shenzhen to the Chaozhou and Shantou regions, operated by Guang Dong Travel.

According to the travel agency, the man, who is in his 50s, underwent the operation on Monday night.

On Tuesday morning, the family of three were still recovering in a hospital in Shantou after receiving treatment.

One of the tourists, who identified herself as Mrs Chan, said she suspected the driver had dozed off at the wheel, resulting in the crash.

“He appeared not to be in good shape [when he was driving],” she said after returning to the city.

“The force of the impact threw my husband from his seat. I grabbed him, otherwise he would have slid towards the exit,” she added.

The force of the impact threw my husband from his seat.
One of the tourists, Mrs Chan

Chan also said the bus was travelling fast at the time of the incident, and the tour guide had been thrown out of the vehicle through the front windscreen. A travel agency staff told the media that the local guide was the most badly injured, and still in a coma.

Speaking from his hospital bed in Jieyang city following the crash, another injured passenger, surnamed Yeung, who had suffered rib fractures, said he had fallen asleep during the journey and woke up when the two buses collided.

“The force of the impact was strong. Luckily, I was wearing my seat belt, otherwise I would have been badly hurt,” he said.

The Immigration Department said two staff from the Hong Kong government office in Guangdong were sent to visit the injured and offer assistance to them and their family members.

As of Tuesday night, all victims have returned to Hong Kong, with the more seriously injured ones hospitalised in Tuen Mun Hospital.