Chopper-wielding man subdued by police in Lan Kwai Fong having psychiatric state assessed

Suspect arrested after scuffle in which three officers and a male pedestrian sustained minor injuries

PUBLISHED : Friday, 12 August, 2016, 12:41am
UPDATED : Friday, 12 August, 2016, 2:27pm

Police were forced to pull guns on a chopper-wielding man in the busy Lan Kwai Fong entertainment hub in Central on Thursday night before he was disarmed and subdued in an ensuing scuffle.

On Friday morning, the 37-year-old Hongkonger was undergoing a medical examination on his mental state in Queen Mary Hospital in Pok Fu Lam.

It is understood that the man is an outpatient at a government hospital’s psychiatric department.

Video uploaded to Facebook by Bernard Wong

“Police were told that he had attended medical consultations regularly, but had not taken any medication,” a source with the knowledge of the case said.

He said doctors were assessing his mental state, and police would “look into the results of his medical examination as part of our investigation”.

When he was leaving the restaurant, he suddenly rushed into the kitchen and snatched a chopper.
A source with knowledge of the case

Initial investigations showed the man had eaten alone and paid the bill at the iconic Yung Kee roast goose restaurant on Wellington Street, Central before the incident, which took place shortly before 10pm on Thursday

“When he was leaving the restaurant, he suddenly rushed into the kitchen and snatched a chopper,” the source said.

When a restaurant worker, 57, tried to stop him, the suspect allegedly threatened him with the weapon and then left the restaurant, according to police.

The man then went to Lan Kwai Fong on D’Aguilar Street – a short distance from the restaurant – where he caused panic among passers-by and pub-goers.

A two-minute video clip showed people running away when he approached.

“Verbal warnings were issued as the man was wielding the chopper. As he refused to put down the chopper, two police officers drew their guns on standby,” a police spokesman said.

The chopper-wielding man was circled by several officers as he walked down D’Aguilar Street, the video showed.

A traffic policeman wearing a helmet approached him from behind and grabbed the man’s left arm, which held the weapon, and two other officers and a male passer-by in a suit moved in to help.

An officer could be heard on the recording shouting “don’t look”, “help” and “help me” before several passers-by swooped in to subdue the man.

He was disarmed and pinned to the floor before being handcuffed and taken away.

Hong Kong man seriously injured in knife attack by multiple assailants

Three police officers and one male passer-by were lightly injured during the incident. They were treated at Queen Mary Hospital and later discharged.

It is understood the whole incident lasted for about 10 minutes.

The unhurt suspect was arrested on suspicion of possessing an offensive weapon and criminal intimidation, according to police.

He was brought back to Central Police Station before being taken to hospital for examination on Friday morning,

The suspect had not been charged as of midday. Crime-squad officers from Central Police Station are investigating.