Woman and her dog rescued after fire breaks out at Wan Chai restaurant

Morning blaze draws fire crews, police and ambulances; woman and two male victims sent to hospital for treatment

PUBLISHED : Tuesday, 16 August, 2016, 11:10am
UPDATED : Tuesday, 16 August, 2016, 12:13pm

A woman and her dog were stretchered to safety after being rescued from a fire at a restaurant in Wan Chai on Tuesday morning.

The blaze broke out just before 9.15am at Bowrington Road, drawing a fleet of fire engines to the area.

Fire crews, police and ambulances gathered at the scene close to South Pacific Hotel, at the junction with Sharp Street West.

One woman, along with her dog, was seen being carried away on a stretcher from the site, where smoke was billowing from a restaurant.

Two men, one of whom sustained eight per cent burns to his body, were also rescued from the fire.

All three victims were taken to hospital for further treatment, an ambulance service spokesman said.

Police officers stood in the road re-directing traffic, while onlookers watched from the surrounding streets.

A spokesman for the fire department said firefighters were called to a “potential hazard to life and property” at 9.15am.

No further details were immediately available.