Man arrested for staging bomb hoax at Hong Kong International Airport to stop girlfriend’s flight
Suspect allegedly made three calls to police: from mobile phone, shop in airport, and public phone in airport
A man has been arrested for allegedly making false claims that there were bombs at Hong Kong International Airport in an attempt to stop his girlfriend’s departing flight.
The 41-year-old man, reportedly a film extra, was said to have made three calls to police, the first bogus bomb claim being made at 4pm on Saturday. The second was made 40 minutes later, and the third 10 minutes after that.
No location was specified in all three calls. Police searches did not turn up any suspicious objects, and airport operations were not interrupted.
Investigators later found that the calls respectively came from a mobile phone, a phone in a shop inside the airport and a public phone at the airport.
The suspect was finally found at a restaurant at Terminal One.
The man told police he had been trying to stop a departing flight his 27-year-old girlfriend, with whom he had had an argument, was taking.
At about 3am on Sunday, the suspect was escorted to his home in Hanley Villa on Yau Lai Road in Sham Tseng. He was detained, and a mobile phone, some clothes and slippers were seized.
Local media reported that the suspect was an extra in action-comedy sequel From Vegas to Macau III , co-directed by Wong Jing and starring Chow Yun-fat and Andy Lau Tak-wah.
In February, a retiree who drunkenly tried to stop his wife going to South Africa by calling police and telling them there was a bomb on the plane was given 120 hours of community service.