Hong Kong man arrested after breaking roadblock and leading police on pre-dawn chase in Mercedes-Benz

Vehicle crashes into central divider on Tai Po Road after left front tyre breaks off

PUBLISHED : Friday, 09 September, 2016, 2:48pm
UPDATED : Friday, 09 September, 2016, 11:28pm

The driver of a Mercedes-Benz was arrested after speeding through a police roadblock and leading officers on a high-speed car chase in Sha Tin before dawn on Friday.

The black sedan driven by the 32-year-old suspect was running as fast as 120km/h in an 80km/h zone during the pursuit, which lasted about three minutes, according to police.

The fleeing vehicle’s left front tyre broke off and it travelled on the wrong side of the road for some distance before slamming into the central divider on Tai Po Road outside the Sha Tin racecourse, senior inspector Chui Wing-luen of the New Territories South traffic unit said.

The motorist was subdued at the scene after a scuffle with police and arrested on suspicion of furious driving and drug driving.

As of lunchtime on Friday, the Hongkonger was still being held for questioning and had not been charged.

The pre-dawn car chase began after the sedan sped through a police roadblock on the New Territories-bound Lion Rock Tunnel Road at 4.52am, ramming into a taxi and a Honda car outside the Sha Tin exit of Lion Rock Tunnel.

“Several officers at the site had to dodge quickly to avoid being hit by the Benz and the other two vehicles,” Chui said.

Police then gave chase.

It is understood the vehicle kept running above 100km/h as officers pursued it for about 6km along Lion Rock Tunnel Road, Sha Tin Road and Tai Po Road.

Near the Sha Tin racecourse, the sedan headed onto Tsun King Road, and its left front tyre broke off as it hit a kerb at a nearby roundabout before running onto the wrong side of the New Territories-bound Tai Po Road.

Police said the car travelled on the wrong side of Tai Po Road for about 60 metres before it slammed into the central divider.

“After the crash, the driver jumped out of the car and fled on foot. After running for about 200 metres, he was stopped by a police constable and subdued after a brief struggle,” Chui said.

The senior inspector said the driver failed a roadside assessment to check his reaction time and pupil dilation and was sent to Prince of Wales Hospital for examination.

A police sniffer dog was called in to search the car, but no illegal drugs were found.

Officers seized about HK$100,000 in total from the suspect and the vehicle. Detectives from Sha Tin police station are investigating whether the money is linked to drug transactions.

It is understood the suspect had been arrested for drug trafficking and drug possession in the past.

According to police, a taxi driver, 57, injured his shoulder after his cab was rammed at the roadblock. He was treated for minor injuries at Prince of Wales Hospital.

Officers from Sha Tin police station and the New Territories South traffic accident investigation team are investigating.