Hong Kong woman, 67, dies after being found unconscious in burning flat

Fire likely to have started after lit incense ignited nearby items

PUBLISHED : Friday, 09 September, 2016, 3:45pm
UPDATED : Friday, 09 September, 2016, 3:52pm

A fire believed to have been started by lit incense claimed the life of a 67-year-old woman in a public housing flat in Hung Hom in the early hours of Friday.

Firefighters and paramedics were called in when a security guard, 65, noticed smoke coming from the 22nd-floor flat in Hung Yan House, Hung Hom Estate on Tai Wan Road and called police at 12.42am.

“Firemen broke through the door and found the elderly woman unconscious inside the flat,” a police spokeswoman said. It is understood no apparent burns were found on her.

The victim was taken to Queen Elizabeth Hospital in Yau Ma Tei, where she was declared dead at 1.50am.

Stalls destroyed as fire tears through Yau Ma Tei Wholesale Fruit Market in Hong Kong

Neighbours said the elderly woman moved in several years ago and lived alone in the unit.

Firefighters used one water jet and mobilised a breathing apparatus team to fight the blaze, which was largely put out at 1.07am, according to the fire department.

The fire caused minor damage to the flat. Police said initial investigations showed it was probably started by lit incense, which ignited miscellaneous items nearby.

Initial investigations revealed no suspicious circumstances, the Fire Services Department said.

 

Promotions