Cash, jewellery and watches worth HK$480,000 stolen from luxury house in Sha Tin

Incident comes seven weeks after HK$600,000 in jewellery and HK$150,000 cash were taken during burglary in same area

PUBLISHED : Monday, 12 September, 2016, 2:55pm
UPDATED : Monday, 12 September, 2016, 2:55pm

A spate of burglaries in the city’s upmarket residences continued on Sunday with a break-in at a luxury house in the Kau To Shan area of Sha Tin.

Cash, jewellery and watches with a combined value of HK$480,000 were stolen after a luxury house in Windsor Park estate on Ma Lok Path was burgled, police said on Monday.

The case came to light when a 60-year-old man returned home from dinner to find his house ransacked. He made a report at about 8.30pm on Sunday.

Initial investigations showed the window of the first-floor study room had been pried open.

“An initial estimate showed HK$$480,000 in cash, jewellery and watches was stolen from the house,” a police spokesman said.

Crime-squad officers from Sha Tin police station are investigating. So far, no arrest has been made.

About seven weeks ago, another house on Ma Lok Path was burgled and HK$600,000 worth of jewellery was stolen along with HK$150,000 in cash.

On New Year’s Eve, HK$2 million in cash and valuables was stolen from a high-end apartment at nearby Ma Ying Path.

The expensive residential area, where toy magnate Francis Choi Chee-ming lives, has become a regular target for burglars, who have struck in other upmarket neighbourhoods in Hong Kong including The Peak, Shouson Hill, Deep Water Bay and Repulse Bay in the last two months.

On Tuesday last week, the Deep Water Bay residence of billionaire American businessman and gold Bauhinia Star recipient Jim Thompson was burgled. Twenty-eight items including his gold Bauhinia Star medal were stolen. A mainland man, 26, was arrested, and the property was recovered.

Thompson, 76, ranked the 43rd richest person in Hong Kong, was on holiday at the time of the burglary. The total value of the items is unknown.

On August 8, in another high-profile case, the Repulse Bay home of Hong Kong’s third-richest man, Cheng Yu-tung, was burgled.

Despite the recent spate of break-ins, police figures show reports of burglary declined 4.6 per cent to 1,407 in the first seven months of this year from 1,475 in the same period last year.