Hong Kong woman dies after being trapped under bus in Tsim Sha Tsui crash

Police say driver passed out before crash; they are investigating whether he was taking drugs

PUBLISHED : Thursday, 29 September, 2016, 9:55am
UPDATED : Thursday, 29 September, 2016, 10:56pm

Police have arrested a bus driver after he reportedly passed out at the wheel before his double-decker mounted a pavement, hitting and killing a female pedestrian in Tsim Sha Tsui on Thursday.

The Kowloon Motor Bus (KMB) driver, 40, was arrested for dangerous driving causing death and driving under the influence of drugs. By 6pm yesterday, he was still being held for questioning.

It was one of two fatal traffic accidents in the city within six hours. The other crash happened in Discovery Bay on Lantau at about 12.15pm when a bicycle and private bus collided, claiming the life of a Korean-American cyclist aged 40.

The KMB double-decker, which was on Sau Mau Ping-bound route 1A, struck some railings and mounted the pavement outside exit A1 of Tsim Sha Tsui MTR station at the junction of Nathan Road and Haiphong Road at about 6am.

Lam Bo-bo, 26, was waiting to cross the road when she was struck and trapped under the bus. She was sent unconscious to Queen Elizabeth Hospital in Yau Ma Tei, where she was certified dead at about 7am.

The victim’s family told police she was on her way to her home in Tuen Mun after finishing work at a Tsim Sha Tsui pub.

Double-decker mows down railings at busy Hong Kong junction, injuring female passer-by

The bus driver, surnamed Leung, claimed he collapsed at the wheel at the time of the incident, according to police.

Leung, who did not have any obvious injuries, said he felt unwell and was also sent to Queen Elizabeth Hospital, where he was in a stable condition.

A police source said a blood sample was taken with Leung’s consent to find out whether he had taken any drug or medicine.

It is understood several passengers were on board the double-decker, but none were hurt.

Yung Pak-kuen, a senior inspector with Kowloon West traffic division’s special investigation team, said they would look into the driver’s physical condition.

“Initial evidence showed that the driver fell unconscious [and drove the bus onto the] pavement,” Yung said.

He said they would also investigate any mechanical glitches and other possible conditions that affected driving.

The vehicle will be towed to a government car testing centre for further checks.

KMB said it was saddened over the accident and had sent staff to visit the victim’s family.

The bus was a Dennis Trident E500 model which had been in service for 10 months. It had its last monthly inspection on September 22.

About six hours later, a collision between a bicycle and a private 28-seater bus happened on Discovery Valley Road in Discovery Bay. The cyclist, Discovery Bay resident Scott Choi, 40, was certified dead at North Lantau Hospital shortly after 2pm.

Police said the bus driver, 44, passed a breathalyser test and no one was arrested.