Hong Kong retiree in critical condition after wife allegedly attacked him with hammer

Man in hospital after sustaining head injuries while wife’s mental state to be assessed

PUBLISHED : Monday, 03 October, 2016, 8:00pm
UPDATED : Monday, 03 October, 2016, 8:02pm

A retired civil servant is fighting for his life in hospital after being allegedly struck on the head with a hammer by his wife in their Tai Po home in the early hours of Monday.

Lau Kwan-fat, 62, who sustained serious head injuries, was in critical condition at the Prince of Wales Hospital in Sha Tin after going through a head operation that lasted several hours.

His 43-year-old wife, who arrived in Hong Kong from the mainland about 10 years ago, was arrested by police for causing injury.

She complained that she was feeling unwell and was then sent to the Alice Ho Miu Ling Nethersole Hospital, where her condition stabilised. It is understood that her mental state will be assessed by doctors.

The attack took place when the couple started arguing at home in Yat Nga Lane, Tai Po, shortly before 5.30am.

Hong Kong man jailed two years for setting paralysed wife on fire

The wife was said to have behaved abnormally and was asked to see a doctor during the argument.

“During the dispute, the woman allegedly attacked her husband with a hammer,” a police source said. “Initial investigations showed the man received multiple blows to his head in the attack and suffered skull fractures.”

He added that the victim’s shout for help alerted his female neighbour, 30, who called police.

“The man was still shouting for help inside the flat as emergency personnel arrived. Firefighters then broke into the flat,” another source said, adding that the attack stopped shortly before officers entered the home.

He said that Lau was in a semi-conscious state lying in a pool of blood on the living room floor, with his wife lying beside him. According to the police, she was bitten on the left arm during the struggle with her husband. She is now being guarded by police in the hospital’s custodial ward.

The man was admitted into the Prince of Wales Hospital’s intensive care unit on Monday evening after undergoing surgery for his head injuries.

Police had not received any reports of domestic violence which involved the family. But officers were sent to their home earlier this year when Lau’s wife was reported to have behaved abnormally. No violence was involved in that incident.

The sources said police were looking into whether the wife had been sent to hospital or had gone to see a doctor after the previous incident.

Police are treating the case as one of “wounding”. Detectives from the Tai Po police district are still investigating.