Three more men arrested over brutal machete attack in Hong Kong
Trio aged between 18 and 29 picked up when they reported to Yau Ma Tei police station over a separate offence
Three Nepali men were arrested last night in connection with a machete attack on Sunday, bringing the number of suspects in custody to five over a brawl that saw police fire four rounds on the streets of Yau Ma Tei.
The trio, aged between 18 and 29, were detained at Yau Ma Tei police station yesterday afternoon when they reported back to police over a separate case of suspected possession of offensive weapons earlier this year.
A police source said the three men, who all carry Hong Kong identity cards, were apparently unaware that police had identified them in connection with the attack on Sunday.
Chief inspector Kwan Chun-tin of Crime Kowloon West Headquarters said the three would be detained overnight on suspicion of wounding with grievous bodily harm.
“We found evidence related to the case upon a search of their homes following their arrests,” he said, adding he would not rule out more arrests.
Besides on-site evidence, police will also analyse surveillance camera footage and intelligence as part of their investigation, the inspector said.
Kwan confirmed that the trio “belonged to the same group” of people as the pair who were shot and arrested by police at the scene, although he refused to reveal whether the gang had a triad background.
A source said police were still hunting for another two Nepali men believed to be involved.
Four rounds were fired by police after the attackers chasing two men with machetes ignored repeated warnings to stop. One of the attackers was in a critical condition after taking three bullets to the waist and hip, while the other was recovering from a gunshot wound on his arm.
The pair were unable to appear in Kowloon City Court yesterday as they were still being treated in hospital. They were charged in absentia with one count of wounding with intent.