Hong Kong driver arrested after double-decker collides with minibus, injuring 18
Police say he failed to comply with double white lines at busy intersection
Eighteen people were injured after a double-decker bus collided with a minibus which then overturned in Cheung Sha Wan.
Two people who were reported to be fighting for their lives saw their condition improve as their condition was upgraded to serious. The accident happened at about 8.05 am yesterday at the junction of Shun Ning Road and Hing Wah Street. Three others were in serious condition.
The First Bus driver, Mak, who passed a breathalyser test, was arrested but later released on bail. Police said he did not stop at double white lines.
“Initial investigations reveal the bus driver did not comply with the road markings and moved into the intersection, causing the accident,” Kowloon West Traffic Special Investigation Team senior inspector Yung Pak-kuen said, adding the intersection was not a traffic black spot.
The injured – the two drivers and 16 minibus passengers – were all said to be conscious following the collision.
There were no passengers on the double-decker.
The minibus on the Yau Tong route was badly damaged as was the front of the bigger bus.
Some passengers suffered injuries to their heads and arms, including those who were in such pain they had to lie on the ground to receive oxygen from paramedics before being put on stretchers and taken to hospital.
Both drivers and a total of 13 passengers were taken separately to Caritas Medical Centre, Kwong Wah Hospital and Princess Margaret Hospital for treatment to their wounds.
Another three passengers sought medical treatment at a clinic on their own accord.
“Four female passengers sustained bone fractures while another male passenger suffered chest pains.
He might require surgery,” Yung said earlier.
One injured female passenger said the bus did not stop but rushed towards the minibus, overturning it.
“I saw another passenger crawl through the glass in the front part of the minibus, and the firefighters went to assist him,” she said.
It is understood that Mak, who was treated at hospital for neck pains, was employed by First Bus two years ago.
He had just completed route 702A, from AquaMarine to Pak Tin, and was on his way back to the So Uk terminus when the accident took place.
A spokesman for First Bus said Mak, 49, had his last rest day on Saturday and his vehicle underwent checks on October 12.
The company said it would cooperate with police in investigating the accident.
The area was cordoned off for four hours, causing traffic chaos during the morning rush hour.
Local shopkeepers claimed the absence of traffic lights at the junction had led to several accidents in the past.
In January, a taxi reportedly collided with a car at the same intersection.
A 5.5-tonne truck collided with a car at the site in October last year and, a month before that, an 82-year-old passer-by was injured after a taxi also collided with a red minibus.