Hong Kong man wanted for killing Dragonair hostess ex-girlfriend in ‘wardrobe corpse’ case arrested in Shenzhen

Police to discuss arrangements to bring Mok Chun-yin, 29, back to city for trial

PUBLISHED : Wednesday, 09 November, 2016, 1:20pm
UPDATED : Wednesday, 09 November, 2016, 10:49pm

A Hongkonger wanted in a worldwide hunt by the city’s police over the 2013 killing of his former girlfriend, a Dragonair flight attendant, has been arrested by mainland security officers in Shenzhen, the Post has learned.

The force’s insiders said police were awaiting further information from their mainland counterparts on the arrest of Mok Chun-yin, now 29, who is wanted in connection with the gruesome “wardrobe corpse” case in Tsuen Wan three years ago.

“Police will also discuss the possible arrangements for the return of the suspect to face trial in Hong Kong,” a source with knowledge of the case said.

Police offer HK$300,000 bounty to find ex-boyfriend of murdered Dragonair hostess

Without confirming the arrest, a police spokesman said the department was working closely with mainland police in relation to the murder case and would continue to follow up on it.

Mok, a former estate agent, was understood to have hidden and worked illegally in Shenzhen before he was identified and nabbed by mainland police recently.

It is understood that the force’s Liaison Bureau was alerted by the Guangdong Provincial Public

Security Department over the arrest several days ago.

Mok fled Hong Kong for the mainland days before the body of Arbe Chan Man-yi, 26, was discovered in the bedroom wardrobe of her apartment at Allways Garden.

“He was the ex-boyfriend of the deceased,” police said in a reward notice.

According to police, abrasions were found on her neck, right elbow and knees.

“The cause of death was ligature strangulation, and the time of the death was around the afternoon on December 4,” the notice said.

Police offered a HK$300,000 reward to trace Mok and also asked Interpol to launch a worldwide hunt for him.

Chan’s body was found hidden under clothes and other items in her wardrobe in the early hours of December 8, 2013 when her father and younger sister searched the two-bedroom flat after losing touch with her.

The family had not heard from her for several days but initially thought she was at work and out of town, according to police.

The pair met in 2012, but their relationship soured in the middle of 2013. Chan wanted to break up with Mok and recover the money he owed her.

In September 2013, she called police, saying her boyfriend had beaten her. Mok was charged and placed on a good behaviour bond by Tuen Mun Court.

Officers from the Tsuen Wan district crime squad are investigating.

Police figures show reports of homicide rose to 18 in the first seven months of this year from 12 in the same period last year.