Hong Kong court convicts two more in Mong Kok riot case
They will stay in custody until December 2 for sentencing
Two defendants charged over the Mong Kok riot in February were convicted and will remain in custody until December 2 for sentencing, the Kowloon City Magistrate’s Court said yesterday.
The court convicted Chan Cheuk-Hin, 28, who threw a rubbish bin which landed in the middle of Nathan Road, of behaving in a disorderly manner in a public place, while Chan Yu-kei, 20, who pushed and punched a police on the same night, was found guilty of one count of police assault.
The two, who earlier pleaded not guilty, are among 35 who have been charged over the violent clashes on February 9 in Kowloon. A 30-year-old waiter was the first to be convicted for throwing water bottles and resisting police in the same court last month. He was jailed for nine months.
In the verdict, magistrate Veronica Heung Shuk-han said those whoengaged in acts of police assaults had been immediately jailed and Chan Yu-kei’s case would be no exception. “Assaults against police cannot be tolerated as they will harm its team spirit and there should be deterrence against such practices,” she said.
The court earlier heard Chan’s barrister argued his assault was lawful on the grounds he was trying to stop “someone” from using violence against onlookers. But Heung said his act of pushing an officer from behind and punching him on the chest while covering his face with a scarf was “not out of self-defence but hostility”.
Heung said “a jail sentence is the only appropriate punishment” for the other defendant, Chan Cheuk-hin, as he had shown “no signs of regret”.
In mitigation, Philip Wong, the pair’s barrister, said the two were first-time offenders, passionate about social movements and came from harmonious families.