Mainland businessman who ‘dashed onto the road’ dies after being hit by taxi outside Hong Kong airport

The mainland businessman was possibly drunk on an earlier cab ride to the terminal; police source says there was nothing on him to indicate he had a flight to catch

PUBLISHED : Friday, 25 November, 2016, 1:07pm
UPDATED : Friday, 25 November, 2016, 2:25pm

A mainland businessman died in hospital in the early hours of Friday after being knocked down by a taxi outside Hong Kong International Airport.

Police arrested the 69-year-old taxi driver on suspicion of dangerous driving causing death, following the accident on Airport Road some 100 metres away from the passenger terminal building at about 11.54pm on Thursday.

“Initial investigation showed the victim suddenly dashed onto the road and the green taxi failed to brake in time and hit him,” a police source said.

Elite armed police arrest knife-wielding man at Hong Kong International Airport after tense standoff

Wang Dong, 41, suffered head injuries and fell into a coma after the accident. He was taken to North Lantau Hospital, where he was declared dead at 12.23am on Friday.

Investigation showed Wang appeared to be drunk when he flagged down another taxi in Tsim Sha Tsui earlier on Thursday night and asked to be taken to the airport, according to police.

When his taxi arrived outside the airport’s passenger terminal building in Cheong Hong Road at about 11pm, Wang had fallen asleep and the driver, after failing to wake him, called the police.

Wang woke up shortly after police and paramedics arrived.

“He did not require hospital treatment and he also paid the HK$250 taxi fare before he left,” a source said. About an hour later, the accident happened.

According to the source, there was no indication to suggest the mainlander was on the way to catch a flight as he did not carry any passport or air ticket. Police are investigating why he went to the airport.

It is understood Wang came from Shanghai and had stayed in a hotel in Tsim Sha Tsui.

Officers from the New Territories South traffic unit are investigating.

Senior inspector Rayson Chan Wing-fai of the unit said the arrested taxi driver was released on bail pending further investigation.

He added the location was not an accident black spot, and the taxi involved in the crash had been taken to a government vehicle centre on Lantau for examination.

Police are appealing to anyone with information to contact officers on 3661 1300.

Police figures show 99 people died in 96 fatal traffic accidents across the city in the first 10 months of the year.