Gang of four mainland Chinese arrested for attempted burglary in Hong Kong

Suspects thought to be linked to series of burglaries were nabbed after recent return to city

PUBLISHED : Saturday, 04 February, 2017, 12:31am
UPDATED : Saturday, 04 February, 2017, 3:24pm

A gang of four men from Guangxi thought to be behind a series of burglaries in Hong Kong were arrested in a local police raid on Friday night.

The men, aged between 24 and 37, arrived in the city with two-way permits and were intercepted after they attempted to burgle a Royal Castle independent house on Pik Sha Road in Tseung Kwan O.

Police believed they were linked to a series of burglaries that involved upscale houses in Sai Kung and Tseung Kwan O in the New Territories.

Time for Hong Kong’s courts to get tough on burglars?

The force was mounting an anti-burglary operation along Clear Water Bay Road on Friday afternoon when officers saw four men looking suspicious and fleeing to a bush after getting off a bus at the Hung Uk house on the same road.

They later received a report at 8.30pm from a female security guard at the independent house, who claimed that a group of four attempted to burgle the residence but ran away when they saw her.

Officers searched along Pik Sha Road and Clear Water Bay Road and discovered the group inside Hung Uk where they were earlier seen by policemen in the afternoon.

Burglary steals the spotlight for Hong Kong crimes ... what now for police?

“We suspect that the group is linked to the attempted burglary in Royal Castle,” said Leung Chun-chung, senior inspector from the Kowloon East Regional Intelligence Unit.

“An officer was slightly injured in the raid as one suspect resisted arrest.”

Police seized a stun gun and a large number of burglary tools.

The force has been investigating the suspects for more than a month. They were said to belong to a notorious village gang in southern Guangxi Zhuang autonomous region, where most villagers have Wei as their surname. Two of the arrested suspects are surnamed Wei.

The suspects were placed under police surveillance when they recently re-entered Hong Kong from the mainland. It is understood that the four came to the city at different times to avoid suspicions.

High-end household burglaries in Hong Kong totalling more than HK$500,000 surged over 70 per cent last year – from 31 cases to 54.

Clear Water Bay has been a recent target for robberies. Two suspects belonging to a gang from southwestern Guizhou province were involved in a high-profile break-in and kidnapping in December. The two were later arrested by provincial public security agents on the mainland.

Police Commissioner Stephen Lo Wai-chung stressed on Saturday morning that the force would work closely with its mainland counterparts on intelligence exchange and that no signs suggested that syndicates were behind the recent burglaries by mainland perpetrators.

Additional reporting by Naomi Ng