Injured woman airlifted to hospital after going missing in Tuen Mun

Woman claimed she had gone 11 days without food after being found on a steep hillside on Wednesday afternoon

PUBLISHED : Thursday, 23 February, 2017, 2:13pm
UPDATED : Thursday, 23 February, 2017, 2:13pm

An injured missing woman who claimed she endured 11 days without food on a secluded and steep hillside in Tuen Mun has been receiving treatment at a public hospital after being found by hikers on Wednesday afternoon.

The woman was later identified by police as Cheung Sau-kuen, 49, who went missing after she left her home in Shan King Estate in Tuen Mun.

Emergency services were called after she was found by a hiker on a Kei Lun Wai hillside above Tong Hang Road shortly after 2pm, according to police. Firemen also attended.

She was wearing a short-sleeve T-shirt and shorts when she was found sitting near a stream on a steep hillside, according to deputy flight operations manager Ivan Tsang Kwok-hin of Government Flying Service. She was not wearing shoes.

“The woman suffered abrasions over her body and four limbs and some of the wounds had become inflamed and rotten,” he said.

Hiker dies after falling down cliff on Hong Kong’s Lantau Island

He said she was conscious when found and she was exhausted and too weak to stand up or walk.

“She suffered serious dehydration. She told our air crewman that she had not eaten anything for 11 days and she only drank water from the stream,” Tsang said.

He said the woman failed to reveal what happened to her and how long she stayed there, adding that she was not carrying any hiking gear, mobile phone, her identification documents or personal belongings when found.

The woman was winched up and brought on board a GFS helicopter and airlifted to Tuen Mun Hospital where she was receiving treatment.

Tsang said the site where the woman was found was not on a hiking trail.

According to police, Cheung was reported missing by her friend on February 7 and she had a record of mood disorder.

The woman was last seen wearing a grey jacket, dark jeans and carrying a blue and red rucksack when she left her Shan King Estate home on February 4.

Initial investigations found nothing suspicious, according to police. Officers from the New Territories North regional missing unit are handling the case.