Elderly Hong Kong woman injured as kettle burns dry, starting fire in Tung Chung flat

Victim suffered hand and face injuries as 100 other residents were evacuated

PUBLISHED : Monday, 27 February, 2017, 12:29pm
UPDATED : Monday, 27 February, 2017, 11:03pm

About 100 residents were evacuated from a public housing block in Tung Chung, Lantau when a water kettle burned dry, starting a fire in a 25th-floor flat on Monday.

The tenant of the burning flat – a 69-year-old woman – suffered hand and face injuries. She ran out of the flat in Kui Yat House in Yat Tung Estate before flames gutted the unit, according to the Fire Services Department.

Nine fire engines and three ambulances were sent to the scene after the department received a call at 9.33am.

An online video clip showed fierce flames in the burning flat, with black smoke billowing from the windows.

Watch: The fire in a public housing block in Tung Chung

Firefighters used two water jets to battle the blaze, taking about half an hour to put it out.

The fire damaged the flat’s windows and blackened the outer walls and windows of units on the floors above.

The injured woman was taken conscious to North Lantau Hospital for treatment.

Tung Chung fire station commander Lam So-wah said their initial probe showed a water kettle burned dry before the blaze started.

She said there were no suspicious circumstances surrounding the fire.

Separately, emergency services were called shortly after 3pm when a fire started in a beauty parlour on the 13th floor of Cosmopolitan Centre on Nathan Road, Mong Kok. Eight fire engines and two ambulances were sent to tackle the blaze.

One dead and two injured in Sham Shui Po fire

According to the Transport Department, a section of Nathan Road was closed to all traffic and public transport services were diverted as firefighters battled the blaze with a water jet. The fire was extinguished at 3.26pm.

A police spokeswoman said 140 people were evacuated from the building. A fireman suffered hand injuries in the fire and was taken to Kwong Wah Hospital for treatment.

A department spokesman said firemen were investigating the cause of the blaze.