Former Hong Kong chief executive Donald Tsang ‘staying strong’ behind bars ahead of court date, wife says
Former leader has appealed against his conviction and sentence and applied for bail
Former chief executive Donald Tsang Yam-kuen has been recovering from health issues and preparing himself behind bars for follow-up litigations, his wife has revealed.
On Friday, Selina Tsang Pou Siu-mei posted a letter on a Facebook group named “Support Donald Tsang”. She thanked people for their support and sought prayers from the public to support the city’s former leader.
“Donald has been recovering gradually from his cough and asthma attack, and he will continue to receive medication to maintain his health,” Selina Tsang wrote.
“He spends most of his time on prayers, as well as reading, writing and staying strong mentally to face the forthcoming litigation in court.”
Last month, Donald Tsang was found guilty of concealing negotiations with businessman Bill Wong Cho-bau over a Shenzhen penthouse while his cabinet was approving applications by radio station Wave Media, of which Wong was a shareholder, between 2010 and 2012.
He was sentenced to 20-months jail for misconduct in office. He has since appealed against the conviction and sentence and applied for bail, with the hearing set for April 24.
Selina Tsang passed on her husband’s thanks to friends and supporters who had sent him letters of comfort and encouragement.
“He would like me to extend his utmost appreciation and gratitude to you all,” she wrote.
Donald Tsang can receive an unlimited number of letters in prison, but the number of letters he can send out is restricted. With that in mind, his wife said the former chief executive would “reciprocate by prayers”.
Towards the end of her letter, Selina Tsang said her husband was looking forward to a Special Mass on March 29 at the Cathedral on Caine Road, where he frequently attended.