Retired Hong Kong policeman charged with assault for striking bystander during Occupy protests
Former superintendent could face up to three years in jail if convicted
A retired Hong Kong police officer has been charged with assault after striking a bystander with a baton during the 2014 Occupy movement protests.
Former superintendent Franklin Chu King-wai, who retired in July 2015, was arrested on Monday and charged with assault occasioning actual bodily harm after he hit passer-by Osman Cheng Chung-hang with his baton in Mong Kok during the protest movement on November 26, 2014.
Cheng lodged an assault complaint with the force’s Complaints Against Police Office.
Police launched a criminal probe against the 57-year-old former Sha Tin divisional commander in February last year.
The case is to be heard at West Kowloon Court on Friday. A person convicted of the assault offence could face a maximum penalty of three years in jail.
Late Monday, Chu was seen leaving Mong Kok police station by car.
A police spokesman said no illegal acts by any officers would be tolerated. “If an individual officer is suspected of committing illegal acts, police will definitely conduct investigations in a fair and impartial manner,” he said.