Hong Kong police arrest three men over death of Pakistani asylum seeker in Mong Kok gang attack
Hunt still on for another 17 persons connected to case
Anti-triad officers have arrested three men after a Pakistani asylum seeker, who was a victim of a gang attack over the weekend, died in hospital on Tuesday.
The man was assaulted by a group of 20 individuals on Saturday night, and suffered a skull fracture.
Police are still hunting for another 17 men in connection with the case that happened on Sycamore Street in Mong Kok, shortly before 8pm on Saturday.
Initial investigation showed that the 32-year-old man, who became an asylum seeker in Hong Kong after arriving from Pakistan several years ago, was ambushed and beaten unconscious with iron rods, a police source said.
He was treated for head injuries at Princess Margaret Hospital in Lai Chi Kok.
Officers searched the area but no arrests were made.
Police said the victim was certified dead at 5.45pm on Tuesday. An autopsy will be performed to determine the cause of death.
Police reclassified the case as murder, and the Kowloon West regional anti-triad squad was assigned to track down the attackers.
Officers arrested two non-Chinese men, aged 25 and 26, on Tuesday night, and the third man, aged 25, was detained on Wednesday.
As of Wednesday, the three suspects were held for questioning at the headquarters of the Kowloon West regional crime unit in Kowloon City, and none of them have been charged.
Police said they were still investigating.
Figures show that the number of homicide reports last year went up by 27.3 per cent to 28, from 22 in 2015.