Hong Kong couple found dead in Tseung Kwan O murder-suicide

Husband believed to have killed wife then jumped from 30th-floor flat, landing in swimming pool

PUBLISHED : Thursday, 18 May, 2017, 9:59am
UPDATED : Thursday, 18 May, 2017, 11:48pm

Police are investigating a murder-suicide at a Tseung Kwan O residential complex, where a husband and wife were found dead in separate locations.

Officers were called to The Capitol at the Lohas Park development at about midnight on Wednesday when a man was seen floating in the swimming pool after a loud noise was heard.

The man, a retired engineer in his 60s, was later certified dead at Tseung Kwan O Hospital.

Hui Chung-ki, acting chief inspector of Kwun Tong District, said the retired couple’s 34-year-old daughter returned home at about 1am to find her mother, 63, lying unconscious inside the flat.

She immediately called police, but paramedics who rushed to the scene were unable to revive the older woman.

It is believed the victim had strangulation marks on her neck, while bloodstains and other signs of injury were found on her body. An autopsy will be arranged.

A suicide note written by her 66-year-old husband that was found at the site revealed that he was struggling with financial problems and did not want to drag his wife into the difficult situation. Hui said that the husband had no debt history.

A pair of slippers belonging to the man was found on the balcony of the 30th-floor flat, which the family was renting.

The husband is believed to have jumped from the flatafter murdering his wife and landed in the swimming pool.

The flat is one of more than 2,000 units at The Capitol residential complex, the first phase of the Lohas Park development in southeast Tseung Kwan O.

When all 14 phases are completed in 2025, the high-rise development will have 21,000 flats, making it the largest residential estate in Hong Kong.

The murder-suicide is the second such case in the district in as many months.

On April 5, a 45-year-old mother and her 10-year-old daughter took their lives after leaping from the balcony of their home in Residence Oasis, near Hang Hau MTR station.

The Primary Five student had left a suicide note saying she had chosen to die with her mother, who was apparently facing marital problems.

The father and the couple’s six-year-old son were away from home at the time of the incident.