Hong Kong minibus driver killed in Shenzhen bridge smash
Nine passengers also injured after vehicle rams into back of lorry
A minibus driver died and 10 people were injured on Monday when the vehicle smashed into the back of a stationary road maintenance lorry on the Hong Kong-Shenzhen Western Corridor, also known as the Shenzhen Bay Bridge, according to police.
The green-topped minibus driven by the 68-year-old man was heading towards the Shenzhen Bay immigration checkpoint when it rammed into the lorry on the bridge shortly after 11.30am.
“The minibus driver was trapped. He was declared dead at the scene at 11.51am after being freed,” a police spokesman said.
Those injured – five men and five women – aged from 21 to 73, were taken to Tuen Mun Hospital for treatment.
The Transport Department said at 11.54am that, because of the accident, one of the three northbound lanes was closed to traffic, causing a minor traffic congestion.
After the two vehicles were removed, the road was re-opened shortly after 3.30pm.
Superintendent Chau Chung-mun of the New Territories North traffic unit said that the accident site was not a traffic black spot.
Chau said that police were still investigating the cause of the accident.
The crash on the bridge was one of two fatal traffic accidents in a period of four hours yesterday.
The second case took place outside Tsz Tong Tsuen village on Kam Sheung Road, Pat Heung where a woman was hit by a school bus at about 3.30pm and lost consciousness.
According to police, the woman was then taken in an unconscious state to Pok Oi Hospital in Yuen Long, where she was later certified dead.
Officers from the New Territories North traffic unit are handling the case.
In the first three months of this year, 30 people died in 29 fatal traffic accidents across the city.
Police figures also showed that 132 people died in 129 road traffic accidents last year, an increase from 122 deaths in 117 accidents in 2015.