image

Manchester concert attack

Britain’s top diplomat in Hong Kong pays tribute to victims of Manchester terror attack

Consul-general Andrew Heyn condemns ‘barbaric act’ by suicide bomber at pop concert

PUBLISHED : Wednesday, 24 May, 2017, 6:22pm
UPDATED : Wednesday, 24 May, 2017, 6:22pm

Britain’s top diplomat in Hong Kong condemned the terrorist attack on Manchester that left 22 people dead as a “barbaric act” as he signed a book of condolences on Wednesday paying tribute to the victims.

Consul-general Andrew Heyn said the people of Manchester had shown great resilience after the suicide bombing.

“I studied in Manchester. I did my degree there,” Heyn said. “I know the people. I know the city. My heart and my prayers go out to the families of those who were killed.”

Salman Abedi: the student dropout who brought terror to Manchester

The bomb was set off by 22-year-old Salman Abedi, who was born in Britain to Libyan parents, as the mostly young audience left the Manchester Arena after a concert by US pop singer Ariana Grande on Monday night.

Following the attack, Britain raised its terror threat level to the highest level of “critical” and prepared to deploy soldiers at key sites across the country.

Heyn said security checks in the Hong Kong consulate remained unchanged, adding that security staff had been “extra vigilant”.

I am very grateful … for all the people in Hong Kong who have sent messages of support
Andrew Heyn, consul-general

The book of condolences was set up on Tuesday for Hongkongers to express their sympathies.

Among those leaving messages were representatives from China’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs, the Hong Kong government, and consulates of the United States, Germany and Vietnam.

“I am very grateful … for all the people in Hong Kong who have sent messages of support through emails, through signing the book and phone calls,” Heyn said. “We will make sure all those messages go back to the UK.”

Condolence books have also been established across the UK and at British embassies abroad.

Writing in a condolence book at Manchester Town Hall on Tuesday, British Prime Minister Theresa May called the bombing “callous and cowardly” and praised the “unbreakable spirit” of Manchester people.

The book in Hong Kong is open to the public between 9am and 4pm until Friday in the consulate at 1 Supreme Court Road, Admiralty.