Two injured, 30 evacuated after Hong Kong public housing flat catches fire

Initial investigation reveals a pot of water had been left on a stove to burn

PUBLISHED : Monday, 05 June, 2017, 6:29pm
UPDATED : Monday, 05 June, 2017, 6:29pm

A Hongkonger was awakened by choking smoke to find his flat on fire, leading to the evacuation of about 30 people from a public housing development on Mondayafternoon, according to police.

The man, 66, ran out of the burning flat at Sun Chui Estate on Chui Tin Street in Sha Tin, but he accidentally slipped and fell, injuring his leg. A female neighbour, 34, felt unwell after inhaling smoke.

Police said the two were taken conscious to Prince of Wales Hospital for treatment.

Initial information showed the man had left a pot of water on his stove to burn and then fell asleep in his seventh-floor flat of Sun Lok House, a police source said.

“The tenant was awakened by choking smoke and found the kitchen’s stove had caught fire,” the source said. After running out of the burning flat, the man called police, at 2.52pm. Police said he had slipped and fallen to the ground.

Firefighters used a water jet to fight the blaze, which was extinguished at 3.07pm.

Police said 30 residents were evacuated from the building, and a government spokeswoman said 25 of them were led to safety by firefighters.

Police said an initial investigation had found nothing suspicious.