Hong Kong rape suspect in hospital after hanging attempt in remand centre toilet

Victim sent to intensive care unit after prison guard discovered him unconscious

PUBLISHED : Monday, 10 July, 2017, 3:51pm
UPDATED : Monday, 10 July, 2017, 10:22pm

A remand inmate accused of raping a woman in her public housing flat is fighting for his life in hospital after a hanging attempt at the Lai Chi Kok Reception Centre on Monday morning.

At about 8am, a prison guard found the 28-year-old man hanging from a bed sheet tied to the window frame of a toilet at the centre on Butterfly Valley Road, Cheung Sha Wan.

The correctional officer immediately called for backup and gave the victim first aid, according to the Correctional Services Department. The man was taken unconscious to Caritas Medical Centre in Cheung Sha Wan, where he received treatment at the intensive care unit.

“The person in custody was found unconscious and was subsequently sent to a public hospital for further treatment. The case has been reported to the police,” the department said in a statement.

Hong Kong police reminded to stay alert to suicidal detainees after rape suspect’s death

According to the department, the man had been remanded for alleged rape. A source with knowledge of the case said he was accused of raping a 30-year-old woman in her flat in Po Tin Estate, Tuen Mun last month.

Police arrested him in Mong Kok on June 11, two days after receiving a report from the victim. He faced one count of rape in Tuen Mun Court on June 14 before being remanded at Lai Chi Kok Reception Centre.

A Correctional Services Department spokesman said: “The department uses all possible measures to prevent people in its custody from attempting suicide or self-harm. These measures include administrative arrangements, the improvement of institution facilities, staff training and first aid services”

Hong Kong police to check for security loopholes or negligence after rape suspect hangs himself in cell

About two months ago, on May 11, a 48-year-old man arrested on suspicion of raping and robbing a 22-year-old student in Kowloon Bay took his own life in Sau Mau Ping police station. It is understood that he hanged himself with a computer cable obtained in the station.

The incident is being investigated by a regional crime unit from a different part of the city, which will compile a death report for the Coroner’s Court.

Police figures show there were 23 reports of rape in the city in the first four months of this year, up 76.9 per cent compared with 13 cases over the same period last year. Reports of indecent assault also rose by 11 per cent to 311 in the first four months of this year from 280 reports over the same period last year.