Hong Kong police step up Tsuen Wan patrols in hunt for man behind four cases of indecent assault, exposure

The suspect, thought to be aged between 35 and 45, is about 1.7 metres in height, with short hair

PUBLISHED : Tuesday, 01 August, 2017, 12:55pm
UPDATED : Tuesday, 01 August, 2017, 5:27pm

Hong Kong police were searching for a man on Tuesday afternoon in connection with three reports of indecent assault and one case of indecent exposure in Tsuen Wan over the past three months.

Officers have stepped up patrols in the area.

The four alleged crimes, all on different days, occurred outside Riviera Gardens near Tsing Yi Bridge North on Tsing Tsuen Road between 8.30am and midday. The victims were aged between 20 and 42, according to a police source.

The source said the incidents happened when the victims were on their way to work or jogging.

The indecent exposure took place on May 16. The three indecent assaults occurred on May 31, June 6 and July 26.

“He attacked the victims from behind, and pushed them to the ground before fleeing on foot,” the source said.

Officers were reviewing surveillance footage to track down the attacker.

One in three Hong Kong women a victim of actual or attempted indecent assault on MTR: survey

According to police, the suspect, thought to be aged between 35 and 45, is about 1.65 metres to 1.7 metres in height, with short hair.

Police appealed for anyone with information to contact them on 3661 2410 or 3661 1708.

There has been an increase in sex crimes in the first half of this year, despite an overall downward trend in recent years.

Between January and June, there were 32 cases of rape and 518 of indecent assault, showing increases of 6.7 and 6.8 per cent respectively from the same period last year.