Six Hong Kong minibuses gutted in arson attack

Firefighters put out the blaze in the early hours of Wednesday

PUBLISHED : Wednesday, 16 August, 2017, 2:33pm
UPDATED : Wednesday, 16 August, 2017, 2:44pm

Six minibuses were badly damaged in an arson attack during Wednesday’s early hours, while they were in a car park in Fanling.

The fire was thought to have started in just one of the vehicles, but spread because the arsonist, or arsonists, doused it with fuel.

Some of the vehicles were reduced to charred frames after the blaze, which broke out in the car park behind Yuk Chuen Garden, off Tai Wo Service Road West, soon before 3am.

Firefighters used their hose to battle the blaze, and put it out shortly before 3.30am, according to a government spokeswoman. No one was hurt.

New 19-seat minibuses to hit Hong Kong roads

A police source said traces of suspected fire accelerant were found at the scene. The source added that firefighters, thinking the fire had spread in an unusual manner, handed the investigation to police.

“One of the vehicles was suspected to have been torched and fire spread to the other five,” he said.

He said the vehicles’ owners did not know why they had been targeted.

“Over the past few months, the vehicles had been parked there after their daily operation,” the source said. “There was no indication to suggest there were extortion activities in the area.”

He said police were checking whether the minibus owners or drivers had been involved any dispute. By Wednesday afternoon, no one had been arrested.