image image

Crime in Hong Kong

Manhunt for two attackers after HK$100,000 robbery leaves victim with head injuries

Man, 54, was hit from behind with hard object in Kwun Tong housing estate

PUBLISHED : Friday, 20 April, 2018, 1:07pm
UPDATED : Friday, 20 April, 2018, 4:27pm

A citywide manhunt for two violent thieves is under way after a 54-year-old man suffered head injuries and was robbed of HK$100,000 (US$12,740) in an attack in the early hours of Friday.

The robbery – which had strong similarities to another attack last week – took place outside Ping On House in Wo Lok Estate on Yuet Wah Street, Kwun Tong, a little before 1am.

“Two culprits attacked the victim from behind with an unknown hard object and grabbed his paper bag holding HK$100,000 before fleeing on foot,” a police spokeswoman said.

She said the victim suffered head injuries in the attack and, when he returned to his home in the same estate, his daughter, 23, called police.

The man was taken to the nearby United Christian Hospital for treatment.

As smash-and-grab robberies on luxury shops continue, has Hong Kong let its guard down?

Officers scouted the area, but no arrests were made.

Police say the two male robbers were thought to be about 40. One was wearing a blue windbreaker.

On Wednesday last week, a male tourist from the mainland was hit on the head in an attempted robbery by two men on a busy street in Yuen Long. He was carrying a rucksack that contained HK$80,000. 

Police said the victim struggled and shouted for help, prompting his attackers to flee empty-handed. Passers-by, including an off-duty police officer, apprehended one of the suspects after a brief chase.