Hong Kong independence advocates plan June 30 rally despite ‘zero tolerance’ warning

National Party convenor says gathering in Tsim Sha Tsui will be peaceful

PUBLISHED : Monday, 19 June, 2017, 11:36pm
UPDATED : Tuesday, 20 June, 2017, 5:32pm

A pro-independence group plans to hold a rally to “mourn” the 20th ­anniversary of the city’s handover to China, despite a warning by the head of the central government’s liaison office that Beijing will show “zero tolerance” to those advocating separatism.

Andy Chan Ho-tin, convenor for the Hong Kong National Party, said the rally near the clock tower at Tsim Sha Tsui on the night of June 30 would be a peaceful one to unite independence supporters and localists.

“We mourn the 20th anniversary of the fall of Hong Kong,” said Chan, who was last year disqualified from running for a seat in the Legislative Council.

Hong Kong should use national education to ‘guide’ youth who took part in Occupy protests, ex-Xinhua official urges

“The government is doing everything to make July 1 a day of celebrations and present a picture that everyone here welcomes Chinese rule. But we want to offer another view – we are not happy with the Chinese rule.”

He has applied for a letter of no objection to police for the event, but said he had not heard anything so far.

A police spokesman said officers were looking into the application and would make a decision in accordance with procedure.

Beijing loyalist lawmakers condemn Hong Kong localists for Taiwan cross-party alliance

President Xi Jinping is expected to visit Hong Kong to mark the anniversary of thereturn to Chinese rule.

Police are ramping up security measures ahead of his visit, ­deploying 10,000 officers and erecting water-filled plastic barricades at key sites in an attempt to prevent disturbances.

Chan founded his party last year, claiming it was funded ­entirely by the donations of its 50-plus members, mostly university students and young activists.

Zero tolerance is necessary
Zhang Xiaoming, director of the liaison office

He, along with several other localists, was disqualified from Legco elections last July after ­refusing to sign a new additional declaration form that acknowledged Hong Kong as being an ­inalienable part of China.

Meanwhile, Zhang Xiaoming, director of the liaison ­office, said in an interview with China Central Television that a small group of pro-independence advocates were testing the ­patience of Beijing.

“Zero tolerance is necessary,” he warned.

Zhang also said that while he felt the “one country, two ­systems” formula had been ­successful over the past 20 years,he had one regret – society had a ­tendency to politicise matters.

As a result, this had delayed national security legislation and distracted the government from focusing on ­improving the ­economy and people’s livelihoods.

Zhou Nan, who ­performed the role of Zhang ­before the handover, also spoke to RTHK about independence.

Beware the gradual growth of pro-independence thought, warns Hong Kong leader CY Leung

The former director of Xinhua News Agency, the forerunner of the liaison office before 1997, said he was not surprised about the rise of independence ideas ­because four or five generations of Hongkongers had been “brainwashed” by the British.

Zhou said those who opposed the introduction of national education lessons in schools had essentially“deprived” people of the right to learn about China.

He agreed that a national ­security law should be passed as soon as possible.