image image

Mexico

Mexico police officers among dozens to be arrested for 2014 disappearance of 43 students

The youths were taken from the city of Iguala in Guerrero state, which has become the country’s deadliest region as gangs battle over the control of poppy fields used to produce opium

PUBLISHED : Saturday, 03 March, 2018, 6:05pm
UPDATED : Saturday, 03 March, 2018, 10:22pm

Mexican authorities are preparing to arrest dozens of people implicated in the kidnapping and alleged murder of 43 students in southern Mexico more than three years ago, the prosecutor in charge of the case said on Friday.

Prosecutor Alfredo Higuera told a hearing of the Inter-American Commission on Human Rights (IACHR) in Bogota he had obtained new information to file charges against 30 people, including local police officers.

The disappearance of the 43 teaching students on September 26, 2014, in the city of Iguala in Guerrero state sparked international outcry, battering Mexico’s reputation and undermining the popularity of President Enrique Pena Nieto.

Guerrero has become Mexico’s deadliest state as a growing number of gangs battle over the control of poppy fields used to produce opium, the main ingredient in heroin.

America’s appetite for avocados is keeping this Mexican town safe from murderous gangs

An initial investigation by the government stated that the 43 were abducted by corrupt police who handed them over to members of a local drug cartel, who then killed them, incinerated their bodies at a trash dump and threw the ashes into a river.

However, an international team backed by the IACHR uncovered irregularities in the case that undermined the conclusions of the official investigation.

Higuera launched a new investigation in 2016, and he said Friday that he had developed new lines of investigation.

Murders in Mexican resort of Tijuana top 1,700 in 2017 as rival drug gangs battle for control

Later on Friday in a radio interview, Higuera said he had ruled out a theory that the students, who had commandeered buses to drive into the Mexican capital for a protest, had unknowingly taken a bus with a hidden heroin shipment.

Mario Patron, director of the Miguel Agustin Pro Juarez Human Rights Centre that represents family members of the missing youths, told the IACHR that there are doubts about the progress of the new investigation.

He said that no new charges had been filed since December 2014.