Rescuers struggling to reach quake victims in northwest Iran

Iranian officials estimate around 300 people were killed by the tremors but crowded hospitals and poor roads into remote areas raise fears toll may rise

PUBLISHED : Monday, 13 August, 2012, 12:00am
UPDATED : Monday, 13 August, 2012, 8:50am

Overcrowded hospitals in northwest Iran struggled to cope with thousands of earthquake victims yesterday as rescuers raced to reach remote villages after two powerful quakes killed nearly 300 people.

Thousands huddled in makeshift camps or slept in the street after Saturday's quakes in fear of more aftershocks, 60 of which had already struck. A lack of tents and other supplies left them exposed to the night chill, one witness said.

"I saw some people whose entire home was destroyed, and all their livestock killed," Tahir Sadati, a local photographer, said. "People need help, they need warm clothes, more tents, blankets and bread."

The worst damage and most casualties appeared to have been in rural villages around the towns of Ahar, Varzaghan and Harees, near the major city of Tabriz, Iranian media reported.

Tabriz resident Ahmad, 41, said the body of his cousin in a village near Ahar had been found. "Nobody knows what happened to his wife and two daughters," aged four and seven, Ahmad said. "We fear that if rescuers don't get to them soon, they will lose their lives too."

But according to Iran's English-language Press TV, officials said rescue operations had ended by yesterday afternoon and that all those trapped beneath the rubble had been freed.

Many villages are hard to reach by road, hindering rescue efforts. Hospitals in Tabriz, Ardabil and other cities nearby took in many of the injured, residents and Iranian media said, and there were long queues of survivors waiting to be treated.

"I wanted to go there last night to help but heard there was bad traffic and that it wasn't safe enough," Ahmad said. "People in those villages need help."

Aidin, a Tabriz resident, said he went to give blood at a local hospital and saw staff struggling to cope with the influx of patients. Most had been taken there by their families, he said, indicating a shortage of ambulances.

Ahar's 120-bed hospital was full, said Arash, a college student and resident of the town. There were traffic jams on the narrow road between Ahar and Tabriz as victims tried to reach hospitals, he said.

"People are scared and won't go back into their houses because they fear the buildings aren't safe."

The US Geological Survey measured Saturday's first quake at 6.4 magnitude and said it struck 60 kilometres northeast of Tabriz, a trading hub far from Iran's oil-producing areas and known nuclear facilities.

The second, measuring 6.3, struck 11 minutes later near Varzaghan, 49 kilometres northeast of Tabriz.

More than 1,000 villages in the area were affected by the earthquakes, Ahmad Reza Shaji'i, a Red Crescent official, told the Iranian Students' News Agency (ISNA). About 130 villages suffered more than 70 per cent damage, and 20 villages were completely destroyed, he said.

"We saw some villages that were truly destroyed," said Sadati, the photographer, who was documenting the aftermath. "One good thing was that the earthquake happened during the day, so many people were not in their homes. At night the casualties would have been far worse."

Close to 300 people were believed to be dead, said Reza Sadighi, Ahar's local governor, according to the Fars news agency. Shaji'i told ISNA 2,600 people were believed to be injured.

Nearly 100 ambulances and 1,100 Red Crescent workers were deployed, Shaji'i said, along with 44,000 food packages and 5,600 tents for shelter. The relief agency had enough supplies and most residents in the area had access to clean water but Shaji'i asked residents to donate cash to the relief effort.

Officials in Tehran extended condolences to the victims and declared two days of mourning to be held in the province, ISNA reported.

About 16,000 people in the quake-hit area have been given emergency shelter, a Red Crescent official told the Mehr news agency.

Iranian lawmaker Mohammad Hassan-Nejad warned that if relief efforts did not speed up, the death toll would swiftly rise. "Relief groups have still not reached many villages, because in normal conditions some of these villages are several hours away," he told ISNA. "Currently the roads are closed and the only way to reach these villages is by air."

Photographs posted on Iranian news websites showed numerous bodies, including children, lying on the floor of a white-tiled morgue in Ahar and medical staff treating the injured in the open air as dusk fell on Saturday. Other images showed rescue workers digging people out of rubble - some alive, many dead.

Iran is crisscrossed by major fault lines and has suffered several devastating earthquakes in recent years, including a 6.6 magnitude quake in 2003 that reduced the historic southeastern city of Bam to dust and killed about 31,000 people.


Send to a friend

To forward this article using your default email client (e.g. Outlook), click here.

Enter multiple addresses separated by commas(,)