
Turkey hammered Syrian targets on Thursday in reprisal for deadly cross-border fire that sent tensions soaring in the tinder-box region, prompting international calls for restraint.
In Ankara, the Turkish parliament met behind closed doors in an emergency session and agreed to a government request to authorise military operations inside neighbouring Syria.
But Turkish Prime Minister Besir Atalay said Syria had admitted responsibility for the shelling that killed five Turks and apologised.
“Turkey has no interest in a war with Syria. But Turkey is capable of protecting its borders and will retaliate when necessary,” Ibrahim Kalin, chief adviser to Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan, said earlier on Twitter.
Western powers condemned the Syrian shelling, which Damascus said was an accident, with the United States saying it was outraged and France cautioning it threatened global security.
The incident also prompted a forecast that it could tip events in favour of the rebels fighting to bring down President Bashar al-Assad’s regime.