Third body found at Miami Dade College after collapse of car park

PUBLISHED : Friday, 12 October, 2012, 12:00am
UPDATED : Friday, 12 October, 2012, 4:03am

A man who was pulled early yesterday from the rubble of a collapsed car park at Miami Dade College has died, police said, bringing the death toll to three. One person was still missing.

The latest man to die had been trapped for about 13 hours since the collapse of the five-storey structure, which was under construction at the university's west campus, police spokesman Javier Baez said.

Another man was pulled out of the rubble alive and taken to a hospital shortly after the collapse, said Miami-Dade Fire-Rescue spokeswoman Griselle Marino.

At least seven injured workers were taken to the hospital, while an eighth was treated at the scene and sent home.

There were no students in the immediate vicinity because the car park was under construction. Investigators planned to pick through the rubble to see what caused the structure to crumble.

One worker was still unaccounted for, and authorities expected to find at least one more body in the rubble, Miami-Dade Fire-Rescue assistant chief David Downey said.

He said it was highly unlikely that anyone left in the rubble would still be alive and authorities would now focus on recovery rather than rescue.

Victoria Buczynski said she witnessed the car park collapse while she was working at a store across the street from the construction site.

"It fell to the ground like a house of cards," Buczynski said. "The construction workers started running out, screaming. It was loud. Our entire building shook."