New screenwriter for Star Wars sequel

PUBLISHED : Tuesday, 13 November, 2012, 12:00am
UPDATED : Tuesday, 13 November, 2012, 3:11am

Luke Skywalker has a new screenwriter: Michael Arndt, the Oscar-winning scribe behind hits such as Little Miss Sunshine and Toy Story 3.

Ever since Disney agreed to plunk down US$4 billion for Lucasfilm last month and announced plans for a seventh Star Wars movie, entertainment bloggers and Hollywood trade reporters have been coming unhinged: who will write it and who will direct it?

Lucasfilm and Disney refused to provide any more details.

But then the Vulture entertainment industry website, relying on anonymous sources, reported that Arndt, who is also working on a new Pixar movie and the script for The Hunger Games: Catching Fire, had written a 40- to 50-page treatment for a new Star Wars.

Lucasfilm confirmed the news on Friday, saying in a brief post on the website Starwars.com that Arndt will be the lone screenwriter for the next Star Wars instalment, planned for release by Disney in 2015.

But who will direct it? George Lucas, to the relief of many fans, given the poorly received last three Star Wars movies, will be a consultant only. The studios were silent about a director, but the news media have been digging. Steven Spielberg told Access Hollywood that "no, no" he had no interest. Quentin Tarantino told Entertainment Weekly: "I could so care less."


Send to a friend

To forward this article using your default email client (e.g. Outlook), click here.

Enter multiple addresses separated by commas(,)

Related topics