• Thu
  • Nov 27, 2014
  • Updated: 12:24pm
NewsWorld
BRIEFS

Briefs, December 2, 2012

PUBLISHED : Sunday, 02 December, 2012, 12:00am
UPDATED : Sunday, 02 December, 2012, 7:12am

Australian police arrest man over navy theft

SYDNEY - Police yesterday arrested a man over a night raid on an Australian naval vessel in which weapons were stolen by a balaclava-clad intruder dressed in military clothing. Northern Territory Police said they had recovered the two shotguns and 12 pistols stolen from a navy patrol boat that was moored in Darwin around midnight on Thursday. AFP

 

Iranian cyber chief fired after blogger dies

TEHRAN - Tehran's cyber police chief has been sacked for negligence in events leading to the death in custody of an Iranian blogger. Colonel Saeed Shokrian's dismissal came weeks after the fate of blogger Sattar Beheshti, reportedly tortured to death after criticising Iran's regime in his posts, provoked a global outcry. AFP

 

S Africa's ANC backs another term for Zuma

JOHANNESBURG - South African President Jacob Zuma won the most nominations to lead the African National Congress putting him on track to remain the ruling party's head and to be its presidential candidate in elections in 2014. Zuma, 70, secured more than 60 per cent of the total votes after six of nine provinces nominated candidates to lead the party for the next five years. Bloomberg

 

Murder case against tennis official dropped

LOS ANGELES - A Los Angeles judge dismissed murder charges against a 70-year-old tennis lineswoman who was accused of beating her husband to death with a coffee mug and arrested in August as she prepared to officiate at the US Open. The dismissal was requested by prosecutors, who publicly gave little indication why they were dropping the case against Lois Goodman. Reuters

 

Secret files on former UK colonies disappear

LONDON - About 170 boxes of top secret files on Britain's former colonial administrations have gone missing, while those relating to Singapore may have been destroyed in the 1990s. Foreign and Commonwealth Office Minister David Lidington said the department knew the files had been returned to Britain from former colonies but did not know what happened to them later. AFP

 

Model found guilty of killing TV personality

NEW YORK - A Portuguese model charged over the killing of a Portuguese TV personality nearly two years ago in New York was convicted of murder. A Manhattan jury rejected the insanity defence of Renato Seabra, who said he was out of his mind when he choked and mutilated Carlos Castro. AP

Share

Related topics

For unlimited access to:

SCMP.com SCMP Tablet Edition SCMP Mobile Edition 10-year news archive
 
 

 

 
 
 
 
 

Login

SCMP.com Account

or