- Sun
- Mar 3, 2013
- Updated: 11:43pm
Trending topics
Connecticut school shooting
On December 14, 2012, a man wearing combat gear and armed with semiautomatic pistols and a semiautomatic rifle entered Sandy Hook Elementary School in the Sandy Hook village of Newtown, Connecticut, US, where he fatally shot 20 children and 7 adults. The gunman, identified as Adam Lanza, age 20, most likely shot and killed himself during the incident. The gunman had earlier shot and killed his mother at their residence prior to the shooting at the school. Lanza's girlfriend has also been reported missing in New Jersey.
Bullet magazines Newtown shooter used were almost banned
In Pictures
Editor's Pick
Huangpu is a district of pigeon fanciers and the skies over Shanghai have seen birds racing back to their coops for the best part of a century. Words and pictures by Jonathan Browning.
The high-capacity magazines that fed bullets into the rifle used to kill 26 children and adults at an American school in the state of Connecticut would have been banned under state legislation that the National Rifle Association (NRA) and gun makers successfully fought.
The shooter at Sandy Hook Elementary in Newtown, Adam Lanza, 20, used a Bushmaster AR-15 rifle with magazines containing 30 rounds as his main weapon, said Connecticut state police Lieutenant Paul Vance.
A proposal in March last year would have made it a felony to possess magazines with more than 10 bullets and required owners to surrender them to law enforcement or remove them from the state. Opponents sent more than 30,000 e-mails and letters to state lawmakers as part of a campaign organised by the NRA and other gun advocates, said Robert Crook, head of the Coalition of Connecticut Sportsmen, which opposed the legislation.
"The legislators got swamped by NRA e-mails," said Betty Gallo, who lobbied for the legislation on behalf of the group Connecticut Against Gun Violence. "They were scared of the NRA and the political backlash." Proponents abandoned the legislation, which drew opposition from gun makers. More than 300 pro-gun activists attended a committee hearing to oppose it, Gallo added.
Share
- Google Plus One
- Tweet Widget
-
0Comments


















